Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020


I lost my inspiration to keep on blogging. The only reward was just having a place to share my thoughts and maybe get an "atta boy" once in awhile from someone who was moved by my writing. 

Been on facebook for 4 or 5 years give or take and the only reason I went on there was to try and promote our log cabin rental logcabinhomestead.com.  However I found that it was enjoyable to connect with family and friends that I had not communicated with in decades so I got fairly hooked on it. 

But I'm getting kind of burned out on social media especially this year 2020 where the divisions in our country have come to the forefront of everyone's attention.  Deep, deep divisions! 

A lot of people buying into all kinds of scams, just makes my heart sick.  People don't seem to know a con-job when they see one.  

I'm not putting my trust in any political party, but I am putting my trust in Jesus Christ that everything will work out for His good in the end.  Evil doers who think they have it made in this world will ultimately receive their just reward!  

With that out of the way I may just start making posts on here once again. It's a quiet place these days and there will be less likelihood that I'll offend people. I expect to be able to just relax and be myself here once again.  Just me and this vast expanse of uninhabited cyber space called "blogger". It's hard to believe that it is actually still here really. I think I get surprised the rare times that I pop in here and everything is just as a left it. Nothing that I even have to dust off!  Clean as a whistle! 

It's risky to air your religious and political beliefs on social media when you're trying to promote a business since you can easily alienate half your potential customers.  I always thought I might try to use this blog as a way to promote our cabin, but I never really geared it up that way.  Can't really refer our cabin guests to it either since it really became kind of a place where I aired some of my most personal thoughts, things I wouldn't necessarily share with people in a business type relationship with us.  

I should have created a sight where we just talk about the land, homesteading and cabin life and leave the personal stuff out of it.  But then again I'm really not a marketing guy, I just am who I am, take it or leave it! 

I've been seeing people become very successful via the internet and social media. One guy I've been watching on YouTube for awhile is one of those success stories Wranglerstar.  The first video I saw of his was where his dog I think, was attacked by a coyote and I think he shot it, if I remember right. Anyway I looked at his other video's after that and really enjoyed them.  He had not been homesteading near as long as us, but he really had a way of communicating with his audience.  

I watched Wranglerstar grow to having over a million subscribers and I watched him and his family become more and more financially successful judging by the many items, tools and machinery they were acquiring to make homesteading life that much easier.  He is an excellent communicator and does a fantastic job doing product reviews.  It appears that he gets a lot of free stuff from manufacturers so that he can review them. Plus he has an amazon store where you can buy the things he's reviewed getting a cut of all the sales of those items.  I'm happy to see these kinds of success stories.  However there does seem to be a down side to that kind of fame in that there are a lot of weirdo's out there who give him trouble from time to time.  That might be one reason why I held back on really trying to use this platform as a way to promote our business.  

Our log cabin rental really took off after we got on Airbnb. Our rentals almost doubled over night once we got on there. We have used Airbnb for several years now but will be ending our relationship with them starting January due to their political affiliations and stance on "covid".  There again a business risks alienating customers when they air their positions on certain things!

The log cabin rental business has been an over all positive thing for us since the early 2000's.  We were planning on starting another cabin this year, but then with the whole virus "lock down" thing we got cold feet and decided it wasn't the right time to expand.  But in reality I'm pretty sure this has been our best year ever on renting the cabin! So it probably wouldn't have hurt to start another one judging by this years success. Just lots of uncertainties to make a guy nervous to take a leap.  

My hope for building more cabins is to retire from picking up garbage for a living, yes I'm still picking up garbage it's been 20 years this year.  But I've made some deals with other haulers that have got me down to just 2 days a week of collecting garbage and now for the time being have a guy helping me. A much needed break for my sore body!  Actually earlier this year I injured my shoulder and have been working with this the majority of the year. The pain level has been about as much as I can bare, but this fellow who has been helping is an answer to prayer!  I can feel my shoulder mending! Praise the Lord!

Well there's a lot to catch up on but I will save it for more posts.  Heck maybe I really will get back into blogging!  

Until Next Time  

    


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home