Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Writings of a Deliberate Agrarian



Back when it was still the middle of winter I purchased Herrick Kimball’s excellent how to book about how to build an automatic chicken plucker called, ''Anyone Can Build a Tub-Style Mechanical Chicken Plucker''. It was by far the best how to book I’ve ever read. I also got his other related book about building an automatic chicken scalder, figuring if you’re going to be speedily plucking chickens you’d probably be needing to be speedily scalding them as well. Both are very easy to read and even I could understand plainly how to build these devises after going over these terrific books.

I was wondering if Herrick did such a good job with the how to books, what could he do with a more traditional type book? Well, I got my answer with his latest work called, Writings of a Deliberate Agrarian. I’m now in the process of reading it and I’d have to say if you enjoy his blog, you’ll love his book. It is written in his typical down to earth fashion and is very eloquently done. Makes a person want to go dig in the dirt just from reading it.

Also I was very pleased to see that in the Foreward, Herrick gave an in-depth description of what exactly an “agrarian” is. When I first stumbled onto this wonderful agrarian blogging community I was a little unsure what an agrarian was. I’d never really heard it before used like this. I pretty much got the gist but, had hoped to find through reading the blogs, if it was something I really wanted to sign on with and adopt it’s usage in my own writing. Well, Herrick has done a fine job in clarifying the definition of what an agrarian is as used in this context. So with that said, you’ll just have to get his book if you’re as curious as I have been about these here Christian agrarians and what it’s all about.

By the way, in case your wondering, Herrick is not paying me to write this review. It’s just that when I find something that’s good I like to share it with others.

If you're interested in getting it, just go to his new website http://www.thedeliberateagrarian.com/ or click on his link at the right hand side bar of this blog under My Favorite Websites.

Until Next Time

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on the book. I think I'll have to go and buy it. Also I was reading your blog about the bees. That was very interesting I always wondered how they shipped them. Thanks for that blog. PJ

12:18 PM  
Blogger RL said...

PJ,
Your welcome. I'm sure Herrick would appreciate it. I'm hoping he sells a lot of copies. He's got a good message as well as interesting stories.

Bees are all new to me. I'll try to pass on what I learn about them as the season continues.

Russ

7:17 PM  
Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

It sure is a good book! I've decided that's what everyone on my list is going to get for a gift later this year. I'll be buying in bulk.

Tom

7:34 PM  
Blogger Herrick Kimball said...

Russ,

That's quite an endorsement you've given my book(s) and I thank you very much for it.

Your comments about defining what an agrarian is—and a Christian agrarin in praticular—brings to mind a story about how that came to be in the book. It was not going to be at first. I will blog about it soon.


Tom

I thank you too. It is surprising how many people are saying they want to give the book to others as a gift.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home