Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Winter's here

Winter has come early in the north woods. I already got stuck in the snow once with the garbage truck. Well actually, I couldn't make it up a slippery hill and had to slide back down it. That's a helpless feeling sliding backwards down a hill and the whole while hoping no one else is coming that you might run into.

I've been in that situation several times before where I can't get all the way up a hill and have to try to back, back down. The problem is with my little garbage truck you can't ease back down because on the slippery stuff, the front brakes lock up and you can't steer at all. The front end will go where ever it wants and it's soon becomes a wild ride. I've tried tapping the brakes, lightly holding them or not even using them at all. No matter what I try it's a hair raising experience until I come to a stop at the bottom.

It's been cold here with a little bit of snow cover. The sides roads still have quite a bit of snow stuck on them and are slippery in spots, though they do a pretty good job of sanding them. For the past few days I've been using the pick-up truck with our dump trailer to pick up garbage because the little garbage truck has a bad wheel bearing. One nice thing about the pick-up is it has four wheel drive.

I have these things I call "cleats" that I put on the tires of the garbage truck. They go on like chains but they aren't chains. They're made of small cables inter connected like chains. They work well but, the down side is your not supposed to go over 30 miles per hour with them on and not on dry pavement either. Around here in the winter often the main roads that are salted the pavement becomes dry. Not all of my routes are on the side roads. I frequently drive the main roads getting from place to place.

It takes me longer to do the route when I use the pick-up and trailer because it takes longer to turn around and such, so my dad went with me yesterday and is going with today to help out again. He really shouldn't be doing much because of his heart but, he likes to help out when he can. If you would, please pray for my dad, his name is Larry, the doctors say he needs a valve replacement and he might be going in for heart surgery before long. We are hoping for a healing because God can certainly heal him if He so chooses. My dad has had a number of healings in his life and we don't see this condition any differently than things he's dealt with in the past. But, if not, then we are hoping and praying for all to go well with surgery.

We hadn't expected winter type weather to set in so quickly this year. We were expecting some more mild weather to get some things done. The way things look right now we could be in for a long old winter. We still have a hundred chickens on pasture too. Didn't plan on that either this time of year. We couldn't get chicks when we wanted them so this last batch is running quite a bit late. We have been thinking about putting them in the green house to finish them. We just have to harvest out the rest of the carrots that are up there and Kelli has some herbs that are still going. We thought it would be cool for the chickens to go in there and clean up all the beds for us. The only thing is, we have some stuff stored in there that we'd need to cover up other wise the chickens will poop all over them. That's one thing about chickens, they're pooping machines. Great fertilizer that's for sure, but a chicken has no discrimination as to what they'll poop on. If they can get on it they'll go on it, period!

Well, I thought I'd make a quick post this morning because I had a little time to kill, so here it is. Now my time has quickly run out and I gotta get, sooo..........

Until Next Time

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

Hi Russ,
In the event the Lord directs for your dad to have heart surgery -- my Dad had to have his aortic valve replaced back in 1997 (a birth defect, where he had only 2 cusps in there instead of 3). It was very tough on him, but he is still alive and doing well today. What really helped him was that he had been using a treadmill for quite a while, so he was stronger than he would have been otherwise. He is 81 now, and lives in the Duluth area. If your Dad has any questions, I sure could give you his phone number so they could talk.

Back to processing venison today ... Steve was supposed to be up for hunting, but he hasn't stopped over here yet.

8:24 AM  
Blogger RL said...

Hi Lynn,
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll pass on the offer to my dad, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't take you up on it. He's not much for talking on the phone.

Tell Steve hello for us when you see him. Congratulations on the fact that you have venison to process!

Russ

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home