Friday, August 21, 2009

A couple goats.

Well, it's been awhile since I sat down and wrote something here. It seems summer came and went here in the northwoods. Last week we had summer, this week it's Autumn. Today at the farm stand everyone is bundled up with sweatshirts and jackets with hoods on and pulled tight.
For several weeks we've been seeing trees turning color here and there. This week we see even more.

Sure has been different as far as the weather goes. We get a little rain but, yet the ponds, lakes and streams are still shrinking. Our little spring fed pond is as low as I've ever seen it. Just yesterday I walked out and collected a pile of stones which are normally hidden under the water. And without getting my feet wet.

Living in the country is always interesting. Today I got a call on my cell phone from one of the town workers. Seems the town has acquired a couple of goats and he was looking for a home for them. They were unable to find the owners. They are both males. I told him I'd have to talk it over with the family since we really aren't into goats anymore.

When I got to the house they already knew about it because the fellow had already been here to see if we'd take them. Upon a brief family pow-wow we decided we'd take them until we could find someone who wanted them.

They were being kept at a older gentleman's home who had some dog kennels that were currently unoccupied. So I drove over in our Jeep with a large dog crate in the back to carry them home in. They're small goats.

They're very tame little fellows and we put dog leashes on them and led them to the Jeep. But, boy you could sure tell they we're bucks because the smell was quite pungent. After loading them into the crate I was thoroughly covered in goat smell. I told the gentleman that now "I'm afraid my wife won't let me in the house since I now smell like an old goat". We had our chuckles and off I went.

The two little goats are now happily cleaning up an empty pen that we have in the old barn yard. What we are going to do with them I don't really know. For now we'll use them as a couple little weed eaters.

You never know what a day will bring out here. Never a dull moment.

Until Next Time

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Well, I'm envious. We had planned to finally break down and buy a couple of goats for milking this year, but several unforeseen circumstances conspired to keep us from achieving this ambition. So every time I pass our neighbor's farm and I see his flock of healthy Nubians out romping in the grass, I sigh to myself and say, "Maybe next year."

I hope those goats do good service on your farm, smell and all!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

Hi Russ, I know what you mean when you talk about smelling like an old goat ... Today Peter was painting the barn in the vicinity of our buck, and he came in smelling like one as well! The does must be in heat, and he certainly is letting us know about it. We had more males than females born this year, and are trying to figure out what to do with them.

Our weather has been like yours. We spent the majority of our raspberry picking wearing sweatshirts and jackets. Highly unusual for us.

9:32 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Stephen,

Thanks! Their doing a fine job clearing out some weeds. Earning their keep you might say.

--------------------------

Hi Lynn,

We had a buck for a number of years and he never smelled near as bad as these two we have now. Of course there are two of them so I guess that would make it twice as bad.

I reckon that is why alot of people don't keep them and instead hire one when it comes time for breeding their Does.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home