Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Snow Storm

Today we got walloped with a snow storm. It was the first time since we've been picking up garbage that I didn't pick up due to the weather. Our neighbor Mike has been helping me with the routes. He came over at his regular time and wondered if I was still planning on going. It had been snowing all night and there was a good 8 inches on the ground with quite a bit of drifting. My plan was to at least give it a try. Never had a 'snow day' since we started.

Once we got out of the drive way, ( had to take a few runs at it) we set out on our way. The main highway was plowed but, none of the side roads looked touched. The first un-plowed side road we went down helped us decide to call it quits. As long as you kept moving it was alright but, once you came to a stop it wasn't so easy to get going again. If all we had to do was drive, it wouldn't have been so bad but, in this line of work we make a lot of stops. Took us about 10 minutes to get a path shoveled well enough to get a run at it. After that we headed back home. No sense risking having to call for a tow truck. So we'll try it again tomorrow.

Well, we did a last minute impromptu Christmas tree and wreath stand. Our growing partners happen to have Christmas trees and every year they make and sell wreaths. So Kelli was talking with them one day and made the offer for them to set up a Christmas tree lot here at our place. We've talked about it often over the years and now here it is. Just a spur of the moment set up.



We used our farm stand infrastructure. Works pretty good and it is all self serve. They've sold at least 14 trees and numerous wreathes. For some reason the trees are selling better than the wreathes which I think they are a little disappointed in. The wreathes are beautiful so I don't know why they've been slow in selling. They are competitively priced as well so, who knows.
Selling trees and wreathes out here is keeping people looking which is good for the produce stand. A number of people buying trees and wreathes have been vegetable customers.

Yesterday was mine and Kelli's 25th wedding anniversary! We spent the day getting the yard ready for the coming snow storm. Got the sheep all settled into their winter homes. Divided some of the ewes between our two rams so we'll have lambs in the spring. Got all done with that just in time for the snow to start.

We stayed close to home for our anniversary. There is a well known steak house just down the road so we went there. Figured we could always walk home if we got snowed in. Of course it didn't come to that but, I'm glad we didn't have to drive far in that storm. It sure was coming down. Then we spent a quiet evening warm and cozy alone in our cabin enjoying each others company. Usually we end up Christmas shopping on our anniversary so last night was a nice treat. After all it was our 25th. We talked about how it doesn't seem possible that we've been married that long. In some ways it seems forever ago, yet in others it seems just like yesterday. Like we woke up one day and we turned middle aged over night. How'd we get into our 40's anyway? But, we feel greatly blessed to be out here in the country living out our dreams and taking one day at a time seeing what God has in store for us along the way.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

Happy anniversary! Glad you had a special one. You are ahead of us, we had our 21st in Aug.

We missed the storm, but it's mighty cold out there.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Cora Beth said...

"Happy anniversary"--from another North Dakotan!

My name is Cora, and I just wanted to tell you that I've enjoyed looking at your blog since our friend, Mr. S pointed it out to me yesterday...

I especially was going to comment on your post about the coyotes and wolves, as we have a lot of coyotes around here too. I'm sorry you had to lose your birds... Just this morning, when I looked out of my bedroom window, I saw a dead turkey on our front door step! We've never had coyotes in our yard, so I'm guessing it was our dog who did the deed. (Yes, she's in trouble now!) We've not had wolves around here yet (and I sincerely hope we never do!), but about a week ago, there was a mountain lion spotted a couple miles from our place. I thought we lived in a civalized part of the country?

Anyway, I hope you have a nice weekend--staying warm as much as possible. You're welcome to visit my blog anytime to learn about our family. We are certified organic farmers and we grow a big garden every year. We also have lots of animals...

Blessings~
Cora

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Northern Farmer said...

Happy Anniversary from Central MN!

Hope all is well over your way! We just got a dusting of snow here and it sure was cold this past week! Much better at the moment.

God Bless!

Tom

6:25 AM  
Blogger RL said...

Hi Lynn,
Thank you!

The cold got here shortly after the snow storm. I’m not sure I’m quite ready for all this winter stuff already, complete with the deep freeze.

-----------------------

Hi Cora,

Thank you for the comments. I replied to your email. I hope it went through ok since our computer was acting up when it sent. Our daughters will be sending you a line pretty soon.

We are heading out in a few minutes for Shalea to play in a Christmas recital in a near by town, but I wanted to make sure I replied to your comment. I don’t always get around to maintaining this blog on a regular basis. It’s kind of hit and miss.

Thanks again for saying hello.

---------------------------------

Hey Tom,

Great to hear from you. I think of you often.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Take care and God bless!

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home