Friday, May 12, 2006

Here We Go Again

It looks like I spoke to soon in my last quick post on the 10th. I said gas prices went down a few cents. Well, today I have to say it went up and boy did it. I wish we would have had our digital camera with us. As Kelli and I were on our way to the landfill we gasped as we passed our local gas station and saw $3.049 for low grade. $3.109 for mid grade and $3.189 for the premium. I'm pretty sure that is the highest it's ever been in our area. I'll have to check my records for the last time it got over 3 bucks a gallon, but I'm thinking this is our all time high. Wisconsin has a gas tax that makes our gas prices one of the highest in the nation.

So much for the lasting effects of Mahmoud's letter to George. I had heard a news report that oil prices dropped as a result of Iran's president writing a letter to President Bush. Then I noticed our gas prices had dropped. I thought, "boy that was fast". So much for wishful thinking. Oh well, just gotta take it as it comes, right?

We've been having beautiful spring weather here until yesterday. We actually got snow. I shouldn't be surprised since after all, this is the North Woods. It's mostly melted today with the rain but, the snow was quite a contrast to the bright green grass.

This is going to have to be another quick post. I hope to sit down sometime this weekend to write something with a little more meat to it.


In the mean time, as another blogger I know says, "keep on keeping on".

Until Next Time

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Russ!

Hope that your blood pressure has returned to normal after seeing the gas prices above $3/gal. It's still below 3 here for a little while but several analyists and advisors that I pay attention to project $3.50/gal this summer and above $5 if something bad happens politically or with the weather.

So hang onto your hat, could be a bumpy ride!!!!

I keep trace of world oil prices and wholesale gasoline prices at Bloomberg.com. I can usually tell a couple of days ahead of time by watching when wholesale gas prices go up, retail prices follow a day or two later.

Wholesale prices jumped about 15 cents this past week. It's also amazing to see gold prices above $720/oz. not that I have any gold but that says people don't trust their $$$ to maintain its purchasing power. Wholesale copper prices have climbed even faster. The price of retail electrical wire has or will increase BIGTIME!

Hope you have a 'Plan B' when it comes to high inflation.

And on that cheery note, I wish you God's blessings..........

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russ,

That Bloomberg.com reference is actually:

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/energyprices.html

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last part of that address should include:

gyprices.html

as in (energyprices.html)

8:44 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the tip. I saved that Bloomberg page to favorites so that I can refer to it regularly. It might give me a little heads up as to what to expect.

As far as our business goes, plan B is to raise our rates. That would work until people will no longer be able to afford the convenience of trash service. I imagine it would be just the wealthy customers who could afford that kind of luxury.

Plan C is to homestead full time. Actually we are working towards that anyway. We hope to build the trash business up so I can afford to hire the route part of it done. I'd like to be able to provide a job for young guys who don't really know what they want to do in life. The work is hard on a body so I would never imagine someone doing it long term. I've been at it over 5 years now and I'm feeling it.

Scrap metal prices have gone up quite a bit also. The amount we get for aluminum cans has more than doubled. Which is great but, seems a little scary. If scrap metals are jumping up what's going to happen to the wholesale and retail products? Makes a guy wonder if hyper inflation is just around the corner.

But, never fear the Lord is near. We all just have to take life as it comes I reckon. That's all we can do. The trick is to be flexible and maintain our faith.

Well, I'm fixing to make a blog post before the evening is over so I'd better wrap this up.

Later, Russ

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home