Saturday, February 21, 2009

ixquick "the worlds most private search engine"

The other day I was listening to Radio Liberty on my MP3 player while out doing chores. Dr. Stan was interviewing Katherine Albrecht and she was talking about RFID chips and privacy concerns. She expressed her apprehensions of how Google keeps track of everything you do on the web when you use that search engine. I share her concerns. Like most people I have nothing to hide but, it is the principle of the matter, the idea that they keep everything you do on record for ever.

During the conversation Katherine Albrecht told about a search engine called
ixquick that
she found that does not keep track of everything and in fact advertises that as a selling point for people to use their services. Their slogan is "the world's most private search engine" And they have a new feature that says "no IP address stored".

If this is true I'm all for it. In fact I got rid of my Google tool bar and replaced it with
ixquick. I'm happy with it so far. I haven't done any in depth searches on it yet but, it seems very user friendly.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised, if it goes over big Google will probably try to buy them out, but until then, I'll search the web feeling a little less like someone is watching over my shoulder.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

I'll have to check out this one. I had just switched our search engine to scroogle, which I understand does the same thing as ixquick. Unfortunately, I should have done it long ago! I still don't trust scroogle 100% because I figure if any of "them" really wanted to know what I was searching for, they could figure it out one way or other.

6:27 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, there is no true anonymity on the web. Everything we do can be tracked and stored. I’ve always thought it ironic how right from the beginning they called it the World Wide Web. If it ever becomes against the law to be a Christian the internet will become a perfect trap.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home