Sunday, December 28, 2008

Digging Out

It seems I get behind around here with a lot of projects that need to be done. The big green house doesn't have a lot of slope to it. It has a fairly flat roof so the snow doesn't readily slide off. I have to use our roof rake to get it cleaned up good.

The thing with hoop houses is the snow builds up along the sides and you have to move it away or the snow will damage the side walls. I have managed to get the south side of the green house cleared but haven't had the time to get around to the north side. After the last snows it had built up to a foot or more on top of the north side so we had quite a pile over there.

Here's some pictures of me using my John Deere tractor and snow blower digging out.

In this first picture you see the front of the green house with the John Deere peaking out from behind.




These next two pictures are what it looked like from behind were I started the clean out.







Here's a video of me operating the snow blower. Kelli caught me grinding the gears here at the beginning, oops!

-----------------------------------------------------------
My dad is home now and on the road to recovery from his heart surgery. We're all praising the Lord that all went well!
Until Next Time

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heya neighbor...just goes to show...you're further north by only a 1/2 of a mile...and yet..it looks like you recvd so much more snow that we did...where did all that come from...I know they say we've recvd 20 inches this month...but...here on the "prairie of Sugar Camp" (we call our little corner that because of the wind from all directions, you wouldn't believe it....

8:38 AM  
Blogger RL said...

Howdy Lynn Ann,

Yep, that extra distance being further north than you must really make a difference! No, just kidding.

That green house has a lot of square footage of surface area and the snow really piles up when it is raked off of it. Kind of like the piles of snow along the edge of your parking lot when it's plowed.

My hope is during the summer months to have gutters installed toward the bottom of each side to catch all the rain run off, then to divert it to a tank or cistern inside. The amount of rain that runs off that thing is just amazing.

I hope you guys are having a good winter down on the ski slopes of Wausau.

Happy New Year!

4:59 PM  
Blogger jayedee said...

glad that your dad is home and doing well! what a blessed way to begin the new year!
btw, i have a spring seed giveaway going over at my blog-

http://tinyurl.com/9uqkqy

stop by and check it out, if you'd like!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Michelle Therese said...

WOW!!!! That's some snow you have there! We've only had a wee bit of snow up here in Orkney. Before I married and moved here to the farm I lived in Alaska and to be honest... I don't miss the snow!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! God Bless!

6:46 AM  
Blogger RL said...

Thank you, Jayedee!

I'd sure drop by to check it out but the computer I am using doesn't have enough RAM to open your site. Every time I try, it seizes up the computer.

We recently got more memory for our other computer but it is now down and in the shop with a virus.

Sometimes I wonder if these things are more trouble than they're worth.

Happy New Year!

8:42 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Hello Joyful Housewife,

I happen to enjoy the snow quite a bit and it's a good thing too, considering where I live. Every spring during the melt I actually feel a little down in the dumps. But that only lasts a short while, then I welcome the warm spring temperatures. Spring time is a great time of year as well.

Happy New Year and God Bless, to you too!

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Russ!
We've had our fair share of snow too in these parts. I just wanted to let you know I received the book in the mail yesterday and have already made quite a dent in it! This is what I needed! I'll be writing you soon!

God Bless!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home