Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Success

My dad had his heart surgery yesterday morning and all went well. They replaced his aortic valve with a pig valve. Also he had atrial fibrillation and the doctors took steps to correct that. His valve was badly calcified. There was concern that as they removed the plaque build up that some could escape and cause a stroke. But, the operation was a success and he is now on the road to recovery.

Kelli and our kids and my mom all went with down with him to a hospital 70 miles from here. I had to stay back to hold down the fort and to take care of business. I hope to go down there tomorrow morning to see him but, there is a possibility that he may come home tomorrow. If he does then I'll just bring him home I imagine.

My family said he looks remarkably well today just 24 hours after the surgery. It doesn't surprise me because my dad has always been as strong as a horse. I can count on one hand the time he ever missed work from being sick. The reason his valve was bad was because of rheumatic fever he had as a kid. His arteries were all clear. My dad will be 68 years old in a few days. I imagine that when he gets back on his feet he will feel like a new man. That valve has been slowing him down for a awhile now.

We have much to be thankful for this Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas to all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

I'm so thankful your Dad did great! And wow, that he can go home so early -- my Dad was in for a whole week! Thanks for the update, and have a very blessed Christmas. We all have a lot to be thankful for.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Russ!

That's some good news and we'll keep you all in our prayers!
Just wanted to wish you and your whole tribe a very Blessed Christmas! Your my kinda folks!

God Bless!

Tom

7:34 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Thanks Lynn!

Thanks Tom!

We're heading down this morning (Friday) to pick up my dad from the hospital.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home