Sunday, March 15, 2009

Did some planting

We've been preparing some of the raised beds in the big hoop house and yesterday planted some salad greens in two 4' x 8' beds. We planted spinach, kale and various lettuces, mostly as kind of an experiment since we've never started anything this early before, other than inside our house.
We plan to start alot of our outdoor crops in the hoop house to be transplanted outside after the last frost.

It's been nice puttering around in there this winter on the cloudless days. It can be zero outside and between 40 to 50 degrees in the hoop house. Or like today it was in the 40's outside and in there it was 82 degrees before I opened the doors. My family works in shorts and T-shirts. But, not me. My long johns stay on until it gets at least 65 out and stays there for a few days. In side the hoop house I got down to a T-shirt but, the long johns, there staying on for awhile yet. Not that anybody gives a rip about what kind of underwear I have on or that it's even a very appropriate subject nonetheless. But, that's how I survive and stay comfortable in this northern climate.

Well, this is about the time of year that I do my annual gripe about the time change which happened last weekend. I sure wish they'd just leave it alone. Messes me up every time. But, as much as I complain I don't suppose it will do any good. The high and mighty's who make up the rules could care less if it disrupts my delicate system.

We've been getting together with some friends and watching movies about agriculture. Last week we watched an independent film called King Corn. It was an entertaining yet informative look at how much of a role corn plays in American agriculture and society. Also it shows the role the government plays in farm subsidies and how all that works, at least from an introductory perspective.




One thing they did not touch on, which I wish they would have was about GMO's (genetically modified organisms). But, the bottom line was that most corn is either fed to livestock or turned into high fructose corn syrup which is in just about everything. Our addiction to corn it would seem is nearly as bad as our addiction to oil. Both being extremely cheap energy, in regards to corn, be it energy for living things and people or in regards to oil, energy for the machinery that makes our system possible. The documentary isn't an exhaustive study but, a pretty enlightening film nonetheless. One I would recommend.



Until Next Time

2 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

That was a good documentary but like you I wish they would've mentioned GMO's. Someday I hope to have a hoop house on our farm. I think we'll have to wait until we live there full time though.

1:40 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Barb and Steve,
Sounds like your story is similar to ours. We did the IL to WI thing for 8 years before we finally moved here full time almost 11 years ago.

Thanks for the comment.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home