Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Sandhill Cranes

The sandhill cranes are back for the season. I was able to catch these two on video this morning. But, little did I know they were going to take off and fly. It took me by surprise with being zoomed in on them from a distance. I noticed the one on the right put it's head down and quickly move to the left of the screen and beyond. Once I regained sight of them they were in the air. I wish I could have caught the entire take off on video. Actually the landings are more impressive. I'd be lucky to catch that on video at some point. They look like jumbo jets coming in.

The other morning our daughter was out for a walk and saw these two getting stalked by either a pair of coyotes or wolves. She couldn't tell for sure. Thankfully the cranes spotted the rascals and flew away. Being in broad daylight, this proves our predator problems are far from over. I'm currently working on obtaining a livestock guardian dog.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are indeed majestic birds. Thanks for sharing.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, yes thanks for sharing. I have never seen one but recently saw a video of a couple hundred on the ground, interesting mating dance, jump, whatever one would call it.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

Hey Russ!

Yesterday I was pickin some corn that we let winter over in the field, was on an open tractor and two of them jumbo jets flew real low over me. When I first noticed them my heart skipped a beat, they scared me being so low and close flying over.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Alex said...

We are interested in going to Manitoulin Island to view large numbers of Sandhill Cranes in late Sept. or early October. Where is best area and dates?

4:04 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Heyercapital,
Glad to share it.
-------------------------------
Stan,
Yes, they are interesting birds. I often watch them in our field with binoculars.
--------------------------------
Hey Tom,
That must have been something! And who would ever anticipate something that big coming down towards you from the sky. Sure would have made me jump.
------------------------------
Alex,
I'm not aware of where Manitoulin Island is. But, that would be awesome to see them in large numbers. Even two are quite impressive.
-------------------------------
rtfgvb7829,
Thanks for the comment.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home