Saturday, July 24, 2010

Curve ball

We're guaranteed that some times life is going to throw us a curve ball. Our family had such a time as that with the passing of my mother in-law this past week. She passed away early Tuesday morning and yesterday they had a beautiful funeral for her. With years long heart trouble and diabetes she went peacefully in her sleep.

The nice thing about it is all her kids were here on vacation and the night before, she passed, her and all her kids were sitting around our kitchen table well into the evening visiting telling jokes and having fun together. It really made her day. It was fitting for everyone to be here at the same time. However it wasn't quite the vacation they all had planned.

The funeral was here at the farm. My parents have a big mowed front yard and we put up a couple large borrowed tents. The day was perfect and a strong salvation message was given.
Kelli's mom was a Christian and especially the last year or so of her life she dwelled more and more on the Lord which gave her a peace that went beyond understanding all during the time when her daughter Doreen was going through her own heart trouble. By the way for those of you who prayed for Doreen she had a heart transplant a short while back and is doing very well now. A miraculous turn of events it was.

In the above picture you can see the joy Kelli's mom, Arlene had during the past week while everyone was here. The snap shot was actually taken by her young 2, 1/2 year old grand daughter who was running around with a camera.

We were awe struck by how our local community came together to help us out during this sad time. Sad for every ones loss but not for her since she is in a far better place. The town let us use the town hall for free for a dinner and also let us use 100 chairs to seat everyone at the funeral under the big tent. Then a bunch of ladies in the community cooked up all kinds of delicious food for the dinner. No one in our family had to do a thing. These angels of mercy provided everything. We've learned to love this small town community over the years and now we are just plain blown over at the generosity that was shared.


No one expected Arlene to live a real long life due to her many health issues but, no one saw this coming. It is a very real reminder that we all must pass through the valley of the shadow of death and everyone of us needs to make our peace with the Lord while we still can.

My mother in law wrote beautiful poetry so I will close this post with one that they printed for the funeral.

It's about her kids.

The Portrait of My Children
------------------------------------------
Eyes of blue and eyes of brown,
Dimpled smiles and eyebrowed frowns,
running feet and skinned up knees,
Chocolate kisses and hugs that please.
Hearts so full of simple faith,
The look of love on each small face.
A hand in mine so trustingly,
Has meant more than gold to me.
These treasures dwell where none can see,
They lie within the heart of me.
These memories will never dim,
They've become a Portrait of My Children.
I know the times that I have failed,
To earn their love, they still have cared.
I doubt that I have measured up,
to all their faith and love and trust.
Now that they've all grown up at last,
I wish that I could have them back.
To hold each one upon my knee
and tell them what they mean to me.
The earthly things that i call mine,
I cannot take, they'll stay behind.
But when Jesus calls me home to him,
I'll take the Portrait of My Children.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

We're sorry to hear of Kelli's mom's passing, but what a blessing it is to know she is with Jesus. We had a scare about 3 weeks ago, when my 51-year-old brother had a heart attack. Thankfully he is doing well. As you said, death can come at any time, and an event like that helps us to realize how short life really is. Your mother-in-law must have been quite a lady; loved her poem.

8:04 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Hi Lynn,
Thank you for the nice words.

I hope your brother is doing better. I know that a person can be the picture of health and still have heart trouble but, in our fast food culture heart trouble is epidemic.

Take care and God bless.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home