Saturday, January 01, 2011

1-1-11

The New Year, here in Northern Wisconsin brought with it plummeting temperatures and a bitterly fierce wind from the south west which was blowing strong. What a contrast to the days leading up to it when it was 40 degrees and raining. We lost a lot of snow with the rain but, these cold temps quickly halted the melt, as it is currently 3 degrees Fahrenheit with a -18 degree wind chill.

North Dakota had a 100 car pile up due to a blizzard. And tornadoes ripped through southern states on New Years Eve. It might be my imagination but, it sure seems like the weather has been strange lately. Not that a blizzard in ND is anything unusual. The 100 car pile up just adds to the strangeness to me for some reason. And so does the earth quake in Indiana just days ago.



Winter seemed to have come early here in this part of the country and with it some unusually brisk winds. As I've been out and about taking care of things I've found myself getting annoyed with the wind. Doors and gates swing wildly, buckets take off across the yard, you have to hold onto your hat, etc. Makes me wonder if all that oil in the Gulf hasn't effected our weather somehow. Some have theorized that the oil in the Gulf could even effect the weather in Europe saying it could give them a colder than usual winter. And from the reports I've seen, it has been unusually wintery.

But, whatever comes our way we adapt. When the temperatures get cooler in the Fall it always takes a bit to get used to it. Especially before the real cold stuff sets in, the damp cool air goes right through you. But, then winter arrives and somehow by then we've put on our winter skin and it doesn't seem so bad.

We stayed home for New Years Eve. Which is different for us since usually we go and sit with friends and watch the new year come in. We anticipated icy roads from all the rain with dropping temperatures so we thought it best to just stay put this year. My mom and dad came over early in the evening and we had chili for super.

Our Kangal Dog puppy has been keeping me busy. Pretty much most of my free time is spent working with her. She is 7 months old now, 29" at the withers and pushing 100 pounds. I'll continue working with her all through out the new year to get her to be good with the sheep. Arie is still very much a puppy and playing is still mostly what she wants to do.

Today is 1-1-11. Looks funny to me. I'm not much of a numbers person but, dates effect me in a kind of emotional way. It seems like yesterday it turned 2000. I remember well how we all gathered around the computer to see if the date would change correctly and that the power was going to stay on. And now here we are 11 years later. My how time flies.

Kelli and I spent part of the day discussing what we hope to accomplish in the coming year. For both of us we want to simplify our lives. Staying out of the rat race is a constant struggle. It is so easy to get pulled in a million different directions. So we are looking at the things that we can cut back on. It doesn't matter where a person lives, the modern trappings of the world still have a way of taking over a turning us into slaves. I guess we all must take stock of our lives from time to time and make changes were we see necessary.

God Bless and Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home