Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter Greenhouse



This is the inside of our big greenhouse. I took the video yesterday the 15th. We are using it as a barn this winter for 2 goats, 3 lambs and the pup. Mainly I wanted the pup to have a warmer place to be but, as it turns out she is very hardy. She spends hours a day outside anyway and fares very well. Kangal Dogs have a thick undercoat.

The goats do appreciate a warmer place however. I was concerned that it might be too warm for the sheep during full sun but, the back door is open and ventilates it pretty well so far. But, as spring approaches we'll have to be sure to not let them get over heated.

Having the animals in there is giving us a nice amount of fertilizer. We've been talking about having more in there next winter after building an outside pen on the back where they can go outside if they want.

This green house is 96 feet long.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for the post and pics about the "slipform" rock wall/bridge thing. I too live on a farm and plan to use slipform technique for utilizing my rock into walls, maybe of our house.

Question about your 96' greenhouse. We are thinking of something like that. Did you build yours from scratch or order parts, or? Thanks and may the Lord be with you. Bodi

9:53 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Hi,
I'm not sure how long ago you made this comment. I haven't been blogging much lately. I just noticed it after I made my latest post. 3-26-11

We obtained two large greenhouses many years ago from a florist shop that went out of business. We had to dismantle them piece by piece and move them. We got a real good deal on them, a fraction of the cost of new.

Glad you liked the post about our slip form project. I'm embarrassed to say that we are still not completely done with it. Last year I made the forms which will be for a cap on the walls but, didn't get a chance to finish them. I hope that this year we will finally get it done. It's been several years since we've worked on it.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home