Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Well, we didn’t get a flood and the projected finish day for our garbage truck for Friday turned out just like all the other projected dates. It turned out that the problem with the blown oil seal was caused by none of the 3 things previously anticipated by the professionals.

I got a call from our mechanic late Friday afternoon informing me that the saga was still continuing and that the “pump” had split in two. Now I have yet to actually speak to the mechanic personally. He had left a message on my voice mail, so I’m not sure exactly what pump he would be referring to. I would venture to guess it is something inside the transmission since it caused the oil seal to leak. And what could possibly have made the pump split in half is beyond me. I’ve done plenty of mechanic work in my life but, I’ve never seen the inner workings of an automatic transmission. Just don’t know what’s in those things.

Sooo, we would have to wait for the broken part to be replaced on Monday. That is, the replacement part was due to arrive on Monday, so I figured it’d be at least another couple weeks judging by how this whole fiasco has gone.

Monday came and went in it’s usual fashion and I didn’t have it in me to call and hear another disappointing excuse. Figured there was no sense getting all worked up, so I’d just keep on waiting.

But then, this morning, there was a glimmer of hope. Scott, our future son in-law called us this morning to say that he saw our truck going down highway 17 heading in our direction. Whoa now, could it be? Was it really possible? I sure hoped he was right about that and he confirmed that yes it was true and he even saw the sign on the door. So I waited for a call from our mechanic and gave plenty of time for the truck to arrive at his shop but, heard not a word.

Finally during lunch I called. Of course the mechanic too was out to lunch but, the receptionist confirmed in happy terms that yes the truck was there at their shop. The reason for the delay in calling was that we also were going to have him service the engine and check the rest of the truck over for other possible problems. They do a ten point check looking at all the fluid levels, the brakes and so forth. So barring anything major we will be getting the truck back tomorrow morning. But, I’m not allowing myself to get overly enthused. We shall see if the end is actually in sight. And, if this piece of work transmission is going to actually perform for us.

I’ve learned some valuable lesson’s and have been reminded of some deep and abiding truths these past few months. The Lord doesn’t promise us a life of ease. In fact Jesus himself declared that we would face troubles of various kinds. As well as persecutions if we are indeed following him. Really what matters most is not that we get this truck back in service, but rather how we react to the adversity. Do we keep on trusting Jesus? Is it really him who we rely on? Take away our security and we quickly see where our allegiance is really placed.

I’ve often likened adversity to a boiling pot. Turn up the heat and you see all the things that rise to the surface. This also happens with precious metals I am told. When you apply the heat the impurities come out and float on the surface. I’ve seen that first hand with a small lead pot we used to use when I worked for our Uncle. We would heat the lead pot with a torch for soldering the ends of electrical wires. The impurities would rise to the surface and underneath was pure lead. Must be very similar with precious metals and gives a very appropriate description of what happens to us when troubles come our way. Turn up the heat and the impurities come right out for us to see. Often times it is not a pretty site. Humbling to see the foul corrosive stuff that comes up from deep inside.

It’s been quite a battle really. To keep the ugly stuff from taking over. Just when I want to start cursing what appears to be the incompetence of the parties involved I am ever reminded of the saving grace of Jesus Christ and what does it all matter anyway in the eternal scope of things. God loves those folks too and Jesus died not just for me but for them as well. I really have no idea what struggles the folks up there in Michigan are going through. They put their pants on one leg at a time just like I do.

So, I guess the motto of the story is, just keep trusting the Lord. No matter what.

Until Next Time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home