Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fox skeleton

I think it was last year, a fox was trying to get our chickens in the middle of the day. Kelli had scared it off but, I took my 20 gauge shot gun out just in case it came back.



It did come back but, as I got close enough to pull off a shot at it, the varmint took off. By the time I reacted it had gotten a long way off, but I took a chance and pulled the trigger anyway. I saw the thing jump but, I figured I had only scared it. I hoped I had hit it but, it was along shot and scaring it was the best I figured for.



A number of days later, our daughter was out for a walk with one of the retrievers and they found the fox and it was indeed dead.



I went out and confirmed it to be the same fox I had shot at. Boy was I glad to have dispatched that varmint because it was going to do some damage to our birds if I had not. I prayed hard for that animal to be gone.

I never got around to removing the remains until just a few weeks ago and here are some pictures of it to illustrate my story.












My policy is if they don't bother me then I won't bother them. Hopefully with our new Livestock Guardian Dog I won't have to shoot many more varmints.

The new puppy is now 40 lbs. and growing fast.

3 Comments:

Blogger kentuckyagrarianwannabe said...

I have lost several chickens this year to foxes etc. I have two German Shepards, but I beginning to think the foxes have worked out some kind of deal with them to look the other way lol.

Tim

6:59 PM  
Blogger RL said...

Hello Tim,

Sorry to hear about your losses. Yep, must be some kind of deal. :)

Once those varmints get a taste for chicken it's awful hard to dissaude them. But, lead sure does the trick if it finds the right spot.

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You deserve to die of lung cancer, your wife deserves to die of breast cancer, and your offspring deserves to die in a car crash.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home